As reported earlier in EdLog, the state board declined to endorse Pastorek's package, opting instead to open a dialog with the Louisiana School Boards Association about the proper role of school board members.
Pastorek continued without the support of his own board, working with State Rep. Steve Carter (R-Baton Rouge) on bills that would:
- Impose term limits on local school board members
- Ban board members from influencing employment decisions
- Require a two-thirds supermajority vote before boards can hire or fire superintendents
- Prohibit school board members from participating in district health insurance plans
- Reduce the pay that board members can receive
Today's news widens the breech between Pastorek and his board. BESE President Keith Guice of Monroe told the reporter that he personally opposes each and every one of the proposals.